Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Turning Pages - Tristi Pinkston

Summary:  With his pride and her prejudice, what could possibly go wrong?

When the arrogant Blake Hansen steals Addie Preston's promotion at the library, he pretty much rubs her nose in it.  But Addie, who dreams of being a full-fledged librarian, decides to stick it out.  She loves surrounding herself with books and keeping her father's memory alive in the building where they spent so much time together.

Soon, Addie learns that her beloved library will be torn down to make room for a much larger facility, and she has to make a choice.  Fight, or let go?

To complicate things, she finds herself attracted to Black, who is engaged to someone else.  Will Blake and Addie ever resolve their differences?  (Summary from book -  Image from tristipinkston.blogspot.com   - Book given free for an honest review )

My Review:  Turning Pages had me before I even cracked the book.  How can I turn down a book that casually hints at it's Pride and Prejudice-ness?  Answer:  I can't.  Not now.  Not ever.  If you feel the same, then I think we can be friends.

Addie Preston is a junior librarian with a serious problem.  His name is Blake.  He stole her job, insulted her taste in books, and now he's being instrumental in tearing down her beloved library -- the place that she spent so much time with her late father.   Addie is determined to stop the demolition and if that means she ends up in the pokey after accidentally whacking the mayor with a protest sign, well....oops.  As the story unfolds, Addie begins to see that while her arch nemesis is still infuriating, he's not as stodgy and un-fun as she first thought.  In fact, he might be just the tiniest bit adorable.  Now, if he were only available.

I thought this book was a lovely light read.  It had enough hints of P & P to keep me happy (and a dash of Austen's other novels), but thankfully didn't follow the story line so closely that I could predict every character's next sentence.  Addie and Blake's romance was charming and squeaky clean, without being ridiculously flowery, overly emotional, or just plain annoying.  I could related to Addie on many levels, the foremost being her love of books and libraries, her tendency to love the wrong guy first, and one horrific nightmare of an incident involving a rodent and a very scary book.  I've read books with greater depth, but lately I haven't been able to finish any of them.  This one was cake.

If you're in the market for a light, romantic read, you might want to check out Turning Pages here.

My Rating: 3.75 Stars

For the sensitive reader:  Squeaky clean!

Sum it up:  Turning Pages won't win any Pulitzers, but it will win hearts.

3 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

Thanks for your review, Miss Mindy! I'm so glad you liked it.

Amanda Marti said...

Nice review! I just started doing book reviews on my blog and hope you can come and stop by my page and check it out. I just started following you and maybe you can follow me back as well?

www.themakeupmother.blogspot.com

The Reading-ista said...

Sounds interesting. I appreciate an Austen contemporary that is not predictible. Thank you for the introduction and review.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails